Set in the Okavango delta, fairly close to Maun, the old main camp at Chitabe required a re-build. We did three things differently:
- We had the complete area cloud surveyed and Henry designed custom pin footings (no concrete in the delta), and all the footings were installed while the camp was still open to the public.
- We used pre-manufactured steel components for all of the structure, trucking the components in to site and assembling in record time. These structures were then clothed in timber and canvas.
- We recycled everything we could, including nearly a kilometre of Zimbabwe teak decking, carefully removed for re-use as ceilings and cladding.
The clients were delightful every step of the way, the staff in the camp were superb, and the builders were quite remarkable. The project opened on time and on budget, which in the Delta is a major achievement.
- Engineer: Henry Fagan and Partners
- Quantity Surveyors: Bernard James and Partners
- Contractors: LBB
- Client: Neil Lumsden and Helene Hamman
- Electrical Engineer: John Wilkinson